Help Us, Help You. Client Company seeking Innovation Director!
We are very excited to share a request from a client company and make you aware of an Innovation Director position they are looking to fill. They are located in the Great Lakes region of the US.
The organization has a new, growth focused CEO and is building and scaling capability for new product introduction, supply chain & operational efficiency. Plus, they have some really game changing and disruptive products and services in their pipeline.
Position Summary – Innovation Director
It’s fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they are doing!
Provides scientific, technical management and managerial direction to the Corporate Innovation initiatives. Provides strategic direction and oversight of Corporate Innovation Office. Establish and coordinate collaborations with key research partners. Directs white-space research activities and novel technology evaluation geared towards the development of commercial, transformational diagnostic products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop and Drive of Corporate Innovation strategy across divisions.
- Direct the activities of the Innovation Office and its staff
- Develop strategic plan, annual budget and departmental goals for the Innovation Office.
- Develop and manage departmental budgets
- Report to Sr. Management on Innovation Office activity metrics (project cost/expense; project timeline adherence; conversion of novel product review and projects to new products; new product revenue, publications, cost savings, etc.)
- Drive review of new technologies from external companies (establish and maintain database on novel technology ; initial technology review; patent and IP review; coordinate proof of concept testing with internal R&D labs; assist in experimental design and POC scope; recommendations to New Product Committee and Corporate Development on how to proceed)
- Technology Scoping – Collaborate with product management team to assist in the strategic development of their product portfolio and life cycle plans; identify and establish working relationships with researchers and technology companies that fit growth plans
- Support of Corporate Innovation Program via interaction with the New Idea Committee and the New Product Committee, providing guidance to Sr. Management on new technology
- Serve as a primary screener for Innovation Research Driver program submissions; coordinate initial research with appropriate R&D Directors; Assist in data reporting and final report generation
- Work with Corporate Development on patent and IP review of new technologies (keyword searches, patent documentation technical review, etc)
- Work with Management Council to develop and implement Innovation investment strategies.
- Develop Research Grant program for the funding of novel, white space research resulting in transformational diagnostic products.
- Assist VP R&D with speaker identification and recruiting for the Scientific Review Council meetings
- Represent on external scientific steering committees and development groups. Present results at internal meetings and scientific conferences. Prepare reports and manuscripts.
- Technical resource regarding current and future state of science and technology as it specifically relates to food and animal safety. Provide information and education to the broader Team.
- Be a thought leader in determining how the company advances its standings in new technologies both organically and through the evaluation of technologies for acquisition.
- Stay abreast of pertinent developments in the fields of food and animal safety and emerging diagnostic technologies.
- Interact with target customers and Sales team for Voice of Customer gathering in support of new product development needs.
- Establish key collaborations with external research groups in academia, government and industry.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information
- Ethics – Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values; Maintains confidentiality.
- Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process and appropriate delegation of jobs to qualified individuals
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plan work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Experience in innovation creativity / collaboration
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Life Sciences or related discipline
- 10+ years of progressively increasing responsibility in Product Innovation and / or Research and Development, including managing multiple scientific projects and driving new product development
- Strong and demonstrated experience in managing personnel in high performance teams
- General knowledge of food and animal safety industry
- Bench experience in developing and optimizing diagnostic assays
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of requirements from regulatory agencies such as FDA, USDA and Health Canada, and product approval entities such as AOAC and AFNOR.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a project team, interacting with members of other departments including Senior Management, R&D groups, Sales & Marketing, Business Development, Manufacturing, Quality Control, and Technical Service.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to odors or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works with potentially hazardous chemicals, utilizing proper personal protective equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually very quiet.
- Travel expectancy is 25%
Come Be Part Of A Mission that Matters!
At The Innovation Garage®…We help organizations grow. We build strategy. We build and coach the capability of teams. We design products, services and supply chains. We guide leaders from startup to the Global Fortune 50 to intentionally self-disrupt their offerings and companies. We provide world class education, tools and technology on how to craft business operating systems focused on long- term profitable growth